Skip to main content

Filing a Report

The decision to file a report about sexual violence is a personal choice. The university has resources available to you whether or not you decide to report. Reporting options include: Administrative, Criminal, Civil and Non-Reporting. Regardless of what option a victim chooses, a campus advocate can provide free and confidential support as well as an explanation of each reporting option in detail.

For more information, review the Written Notice of Reporting Options, Rights & Resources for UC San Diego Students: Sexual Assault, Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, and Stalking

Reporting Options

Reporting to UC San Diego Campus Administration

When an administrative complaint is made, the Office for the Prevention of Harassment & Discrimination (OPHD) conducts the investigation as to whether a violation of policy took place. For more information about administrative procedures, contact OPHD at (858) 534-8298. 

*A victim has the right to have a campus advocate present while making a complaint to campus administration. Contact the CARE Office to speak confidentially and anonymously with a campus advocate who can explain more about your options and rights.

You should feel free to talk to a trusted friend or colleague. Keep in mind that university employees who are not Confidential Resources may be required to report to the Title IX Officer (OPHD). For more information, see Privacy & Confidentiality.

Criminal Reporting

It is a victim’s choice to report a crime. For the quickest response, call 911 to be connected to the nearest police department. Reporting to the police is an option at any time. If a victim chooses not to report the crime immediately, the report can still be made at a later time. Crimes may be reported anonymously and confidentially to the UC San Diego Police at 858-534-HELP (4357). A campus advocate can also offer free and confidential assistance with this process. If the crime is a sexual assault, the victim has the right to request a free Sexual Assault Forensic Exam (SAFE), often referred to as a “rape exam” or “medical evidentiary exam.” This exam is NOT available at any local hospitals. A campus advocate can explain the details of this exam and accompany you throughout the process.

Civil Reporting

  • Filing a Civil Suit
    A victim may choose to file a civil suit against the defendant whether or not criminal charges have been filed. A civil suit gives a victim an opportunity to recover actual damages. This may include compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and emotional distress. Contact CARE for free and confidential help with this process.
  • Obtaining a Protective/Restraining Order
    A victim may also choose to obtain a protective/restraining order. Protective orders are civil court orders to protect victims who have experienced or are reasonably in fear of physical violence, sexual assault or stalking by another individual. In California, one may obtain a domestic violence restraining order or a civil harassment restraining order. A campus advocate can also offer free and confidential assistance with this process.

Non-Investigative Reporting (NIR) for Sexual Assault Victims

A sexual assault victim has the option to have a Sexual Assault Forensic Exam (SAFE) (commonly referred to as "rape exam") without filing a police report. This is referred to as a Non-Investigative Report (NIR).

Student Health Services and Thornton Hospital DO NOT conduct SAFE/NIR Exams. UC San Diego students or employees who want to utilize the NIR option should contact CARE, and a Campus Advocate can offer free and confidential help with this process.