FAQ: Filing A Report

I haven’t decided if I want to file a report yet. Can I talk to someone to better understand my options?

Yes. You can speak confidentially to a campus CARE advocate, who can walk you through your options to report — as well as the option not to report — and answer questions you may have. 

Talking to a CARE advocate does not constitute filing an official report with the university.

How do I file a formal report about sexual violence I’ve experienced?

There are a few different options for filing a formal report. You can file a formal report with your campus by contacting the Office for the Prevention of Harassment & Discrimination (OPHD). In addition, you can report to the university police if the violence happened on campus. If the violence occurred off campus, you can file a formal report with local law enforcement, such as the city police or county sheriff’s office.

There is also an avenue for anonymous reporting. Please keep in mind that, with anonymous reporting, the ability to conduct an investigation and impose disciplinary sanctions for the accused may be limited, depending on the information that’s given. You can learn more about these options and what to expect in our Reporting section.

If I decide to file a report, will my name and other personal information be kept confidential?

It depends on which reporting option you choose. For example, if you report to OPHD, the university will make every effort to protect your privacy to the greatest legal extent possible. However, some UC personnel who are involved in your case will have access to your information, and your name may be shared with the accused if there is an investigation.

If you decide to file a police report, you can request your name and address remain confidential. If the police report results in criminal charges being filed and a trial, your name and address may be shared with prosecutors or other individuals authorized by law, but your name will not be subject to disclosure in publicly available records.

Because confidentiality issues can be complex, it’s best to speak with a campus CARE advocate if you have additional questions about what happens with your personal information if you report.

If I decide to file a report, will there be an investigation?

It will depend on the information that is given. The university or police, depending on which option you choose, will review the facts you provide and other information available to determine what actions should be taken.

Will the university investigation result in disciplinary action for the accused?

It will depend on the investigation’s findings. After the investigation is completed, the university will determine if a disciplinary proceeding should be held.

UC takes reports of sexual violence very seriously. If you decide to report to the university and if an investigation finds that an individual has violated the Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Policy or other university policies, the university will follow the appropriate policy to determine what disciplinary action will be taken.

If I disagree with the investigation’s findings, can I appeal?

Yes. After the investigation is completed, there will be an opportunity for the victim and accused to appeal. Both individuals will be informed about the procedures for appealing when they are notified of the outcome of the investigation.

What is UC’s policy on retaliation against someone who files a formal report?

Retaliation against a person who brings a complaint of sexual harassment or sexual violence, or someone who participates in a formal complaint process such as a witness, is strictly prohibited under UC policy. The university will respond to reports of retaliation and may take separate disciplinary action.